Tuesday 22 January 2013

Paleo Bread


(contributed by JBairam @jonskib -- thanks dude!)

This is a basic recipe for a low carbohydrate, gluten-free and dairy-free bread recipe. It can be eaten savoury as is or as I prefer, to be sweetened and lemony as a cake type treat.

I used a teacup size cup and I got a decent size loaf. It's the ratios that count rather than the amounts but the teacup will give you a small loaf tin sized loaf.

Ingredients
1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
1 1/4 Cups Almond Flour
1/4 Cup Ground Chia Seeds or Flaxseeds
5 Eggs
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
A dash of water if required to loosen

For the sweet version add: 3/4 Tablespoons of Agave syrup / Honey and the zest of 1 small lemon.

Just a note on coconut flour: I ordered mine and it arrived as desiccated coconut, so I blitzed it in a food processor to get it fine enough to use. It really should be as close to flour as possible to avoid larger bits in the bread.

Method:
1. Blend all dry ingredients in bowl and all wet ingredients in separate bowl.
2. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
3. Pour into a 7.5 “x 3.5″ loaf pan and smooth the top.
4. Bake at 200°C for 35-40 minutes.
5. Let cool before slicing.

I find that this bread doesn't crumble and does toast well. Be careful not to put too much coconut in, as I think it changes the flavour. The sweet version is definitely my favourite, but the savoury is great, too. It works for sandwiches and makes great on-the-go food.


1 comment:

  1. Made this for the second time today - added double the amount of coconut oil as the first batch came out a little too crumbly. And I added a tablespoon of water. I really love the taste though and will definitely keep making it - it's nice to eat bread once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete